Resources / Professional Responsibility
Your professional Standards and Code of Ethics dictate that you must advocate for the resources and supports required to provide safe, competent, and ethical nursing care. The Professional Responsibility Concern process provides you an avenue to safely raise concerns relative to patient/resident/client care.
Common examples of PRCs include concerns about: staffing or skill mix, workload/assignments, communication, equipment or technology, space or environment where care is to be delivered, policies and procedures, orientation and training.=
Reporting a Professional Responsibility Concern
- Discuss the issue with your immediate supervisor/Manager. If you are uncomfortable or unable to have this discussion, your Local may assist you or have the discussion on your behalf.
- Fill out a Professional Responsibility Concern Form (PRCF) as soon as possible, provide as much detail as possible about the incident or issue including recommendations to resolve the issue, and do not use the names of patients/residents/clients on the form.
- You can fill out a paper PRCF or you may fill out the PRCF electronically on the UNA app and online:
- Paper PRCF: provide a copy to your Local, your Manager, and keep a copy for yourself.
- Electronic PRCF: enter your Manager’s email address to ensure they get a copy.
- If the PRC remains unresolved after discussing it with your Manager, the PRCF will be discussed at the joint UNA/Employer Professional Responsibility Concern Committee (PRCC) for your site/workplace.
- After submitting the PRCF to your Local, be prepared to stay involved. Your Local PRCC representatives may call or email you to gather more information, invite you to a PRCC meeting to speak to the issue you identified, share the Employer response to your PRCF, and discuss potential resolutions.
- UNA has the right to advance unresolved PRCs to the Employer CEO, an external Independent Assessment Committee, and the Employer Governing Board, if necessary.
UNA and Alberta Health Services PRC best practice resources and PRC workshop material will be available soon.
|Professional Responsibility Concern Form|
|Professional Responsibility Concern Form (PRCF)202.00 KB|
UNA members can also submit an electronic PRCF.
|UNA/Alberta Health Services PRC Best Practice Resources|
|Professional Responsibility Best Practices2.20 MB|